Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Mealtime Rut

Last summer J.T. started getting serious about losing weight, so our dinners at least 5 nights a week have consisted of baked chicken and one of those sides you just steam right in the bag like this:


I also make J.T. baked chicken, rice and broccoli for his lunch to take to work.  He has lost 20 pounds- which is awesome!   I have also loved how easy prep, clean up and meal planning has been. However,  not surprisingly after 6 months, we (especially J.T.!) are chickened out.

In trying to maintain the same level of ease, I think we are going to try a meal rotation that changes up the protein without adding a lot of extra work.  I know he wants to switch up his lunches too, but for now he is just going to have to live with some different chicken marinades.  

After doing some digging I think we are going to try this schedule.   

Sundays:   Pork loin (prob in the crock pot) with mashed carrots and sweet potatoes (microwave side)
Mondays:  Pasta with meat sauce (ground turkey)
Tuesdays:  Abridged sheet pan dinner.  I used to make this a lot with asparagus and turkey sausage.  To make life even easier  (i.e. no veggie prep)  I think I will do the sausage in a skillet.  Then I will do the microwave potato trio and green beans add them to the skillet with the Italian seasoning.  May not work as well but we will give it a shot!

Wednesdays:  Salsa Chicken (in the crock pot) & corn
Thursdays:  Add shrimp to one of the microwave veggie pasta options
Fridays:  Pizza (this is a given in our house)
Saturdays:  I don't cook:)

I can't believe I didn't think about breaking out the crockpot until now.  We used to only use it on the weekends because we were both nervous having it run all day without us being home.  Well now that I am home all day time to put that puppy to use.  Also, leftovers may break up the chicken for lunch monotony.  Hoping this solves our mealtime rut without my having to exert any additional effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment