Thursday, January 4, 2018

Life Savers

There are two carryovers from 2017 that I will be bringing into my new streamlined 2018: 

Alexa and Amazon Prime.

I have always been a fan of two-day delivery Amazon Prime provides, but over the last 9 months it has been essential.  I may not always get the best deals, but on the days when I have kids all day and class at night and the chances of getting to the store in the near future is nil all I have to do is place an order with prime and I have it in 2 days.  It was particularly helpful during my recent organizational frenzy. 

For instance I have been moving around a stack of race bibs and medals for going on two years now because I envisioned making a DIY display.  Well clearly that wasn't EVER going to happen, so when I was cleaning out my desk a searched amazon and found a cute binder designed to display them.  Bam, ordered it.  I also have some memorabilia such as ultrasound pics, our hospital bracelets, baby shower invite, baby hat, etc. that I had been meaning to frame or put into a shadow box.  Bam, ordered one.

I heart Amazon Prime.  Along, the same vein I heart Alexa.

I ordered Alexa somewhat on a whim last summer during their Amazon Prime Day in July.  It was half off and I figured "What the heck.  It may be useful since my hands will be full a lot.".  It has been more than useful, it has been amazing!

The love affair began with the music.  From anywhere in our downstairs and even from the top of the stairs I can play any song I want.  When the babies were tiny it allowed my to play white noise, ocean waves or other calming tunes without moving from my spot.  It also allowed me to hold "circle time" by just calling out the names of songs I thought the kids would like.  If it wasn't for "Alexa, what's the news?", I would have spent most of last fall in the dark regarding current events.  She has also saved my sanity by allowing me to randomly call out things for our shopping list as the need arises "Alexa, add diapers to the shopping list!" as I am changing Isabella or "Alexa, add cooking spray to shopping list," as I am making dinner.

Over time I realized she would give me reminders if I set them and gives me notification so I know whether to go to the door when someone knocks or if it's just a package being delivered.

I use Alexa with such frequency that when I say "Alexa", Isabella immediately looks over the counter where she is kept.  Actually, that may be a sign I need to use Alexa a bit less.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment