Sunday, August 26, 2018

Leap #10 in the House

Not a perfect science but Wonder Weeks has been eerily in the ballpark for Isabella.  It dawned on me after several days of fussiness and a lot of "stop" from me that something was up.  I thought briefly it was a tooth (we have been stuck at 8 forever), but after checking the app come to find out it's the 10th and final leap.

As per usual it made me feel somewhat better that there was a (semi) justifiable reason for the whining, tears, and meltdowns.  It also allowed me to review several things I could be doing proactively to head some of the "stop"s off at the pass.   Usually a scenario that ends with "stop" plays out like this:

Isabella:  (grabs something she shouldn't have)
Me:  That is mommy's/daddy's/doggies'.  I need that please.
Isabella:  (meltdown that involves a death grip on said object and requires the jaws of life to extract it from her very tiny, but very-vice like hands!)
Me:  Stoooop (but imagine a very exacerbated, dramatic stop usually accompanied by an eye roll, and the desire to cry)

When I write it out it seems minor but when it happens like 50 times a day it makes you want to stick something sharp into your eye.  So during nap time I Isabella-proofed every room except for hers and took care of that once she got up and she hung out with Daddy.  Our home is of course baby proofed (gates, socket protectors, door knob covers, etc.), but Isabella proofing requires a different lens.  To Isabella-proof one must look at a room and ask:

1.  What can I climb?
2.  What buttons can be pressed?
3.  What has a cord?
4.  What belongs to a four legged friend?

The playroom is already Isabella-proofed and even includes an end table-couch combo that has been padded with cushioning to allow for safe climbing, so of course she wants to spend as little time as possible there.  That left four other rooms and a sunporch to tackle.  Basically that was taking anything on a surface a finding it a hidden away home, and taking every chair/stool/similar object that provided access to higher elevations and finding it a new home in the garage.  The bathrooms and J.T.'s office now have doors shut 90% of the time and each room has a fun box of toys or other safe to play with objects (that have yet to be touched!). 

This took me about 2-3 hours total time, but I am pretty sure I tacked 2-3 years back on to my life as my stress level has diminished significantly.  Girlfriend still has some leap/toddler related fussiness going on, but the amount of toddler on mommy "combat" has reduced drastically.  Counting this as a win--for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment