Wednesday, August 15, 2018

15 Month Appointment

"Help me doctor--she needs to sleep!!!"

Maybe not verbatim, but that was pretty much my only question/concern when asked.  Honestly my sleep isn't even all that effected.  Now that she's not waking up during the night I am still getting a (mostly) full night of sleep.  The problem is--she's not!  She's not falling asleep until 8 and then still getting up around 5.  This girl does not do well on 9 hours of night time sleep.  And unfortunately her daytime sleep isn't making up the difference.

Her naps have also become a source of stress as she's only sleep about an hour each time and waking up a bear  Something needs to change.

Doctor's advice? 

Let her self-sooth to sleep (that's my nice way of saying cry it out--which I do not have any problems with but wanted a clean bill of health and assurance that there were not teeth in sight before proceeding.  Honestly it hadn't even dawned on me for some reason and it felt like I got the permission I didn't realize I was looking for!).

AND

Make the transition to one nap a day

Even though we are traveling tomorrow I went ahead and started on the first point tonight.  She cried for about 20-30 minutes (on and off) before going to sleep around 7:45 so already we are on track to getting her a little more sleep:).

She continues to be a big, strong girl and is consistently 85th percentile across the board for height, weight and head.

I also rectified my brief stint as an "Anti-Vax" Mama:).  At the 12 month appointment I decided I wanted more time to figure out whether the chicken pox vaccine was necessary.  Because clearly I am going to be a doctor so I'm wiser than the CDC, AAP, and a host of others (insert eye roll).  After doing a little digging even though I had the chicken pox and survived (which is always a sound argument:/) there are a host of other issues that can arise so girlfriend is now up to date with all of her vaccines and will get to avoid missing a week of school and some itching when she hits elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment