Tuesday, August 21, 2018

First (time) in Flight

I am good at going to sleep at night but will occasionally wake up throughout the night and have trouble going back to sleep.  Often times it is just general racing thoughts that won't hush up.  However, last Thursday when I woke up at 2am unable to fall back to sleep there was only one thought keeping me awake:

I was flying to PA...

with a toddler...

alone...gulp!

2 1/2 hours in the air seemed way preferable to to 8 hours on the road when I booked the flight to see my family last month especially since Isabella flies free given the reasonably short flights--one 90 minute and one 60 minute--would allow for her to just sit in my lap.

However, that morning I woke up with a huge knot in my stomach. 

What if Isabella decided to be THAT kid?  The kid who scream cries at take off and continues until we land.   I have never personally been on a flight with THAT kid but have heard horror stories.  I did not want to be on the receiving end of death stares even though the trips would be reasonably short.  I suspect death stares double or triple the perceived flying time!

What if I couldn't keep Isabella entertained in the airport?  If I'm chasing her around then I can't keep an eye on our bags and you KNOW leaving what they say about leaving your bag unattended.

What if I forget to pack something imperative?  I'm super cheap and without looking into booked the least expensive flight.  Turns out basic economy doesn't include a carry on.  Say what?!?  Didn't even know that was possible.  Found out a personal item could be a backpack and that a diaper back doesn't count as anything so....challenge accepted!  I packed for us using just a backpack and diaper bag (diapers and other bulky items to be purchased in PA and brought back with my parents the next time they come to visit).  I was now having second doubts about my packing ability especially since it would be just the two of us en route.

Then there are the various and sundry issues that come with plane travel.   Missed connection, stuck on the runway for hours on end, plane falls out of the sky...ya know the standard concerns.

Lots of prayers and 9.5 hours later we landed at our hometown regional airport after a successful trip!

Two tips from a friend (board last and seat by a window) coupled with (what will probably be the last) the use of the Baby Bjorn, a couple downloaded episodes of the Bubble Guppies and a sticker book helped turn our seatmates nervous glances to compliments by the time we landed. 

There was one touch and go moment on the second flight when the puddle jumper started down the runway.  Isabella started crying (loudly!) but fell asleep before we were in the air (phew!).



Our return trip was equally uneventful (though the regional flight was replaced with a three hour car ride to Baltimore since I'm a dummy and booked the flights too close together and enter basic economy requires the purchase of a brand new ticket-smh) and we had lots of fun with family in between. 

We may have to try this whole toddler flying thing at Christmas...it would be the same, right;)?


No comments:

Post a Comment