Saturday, September 10, 2016

Things Are Becoming a Little More Clear

So it should come as no surprise if you have read through the bulk of this blog that our lives have been pretty uneventful over the last few years.  Once I got my school up and running and once J.T. finished school and was gainfully employed again, life was pretty routine.  A lot can be said about routine.  It can be comforting.  It can be relaxing.  It can be peaceful.  While I did not always appreciate that time as much as I should I now have a better understanding as to why God led us though that particular season.  It was providing us rest because He knew what was to come.

Pregnancy has treated me pretty well for the most part.  Beyond needing a new bra (growing and sore boobs), being tired and not knowing what food I am going to be able to eat in a given day (this week the only hot food I could eat was pizza, everything else had to be cold or it made me queasy-what?!?!?) I have been fortunate.  There has also continued to be light cramping here and there (but no spotting or bleeding), but that seems to be able to be chalked up to dehydration (didn't know until this week that I should be drinking 12 glasses of water a day instead of my usual 8-that's a LOT of water!).

J.T. has jumped right into his role as an expectant father.  There are three books on his night stand-  The Expectant Father, The New Father, and Calm the F*&! Down:  The Only Parenting Strategy You Will Ever Need.  He rotates through the first two each evening and has opened discussions about prenatal testing, baby gear, and health needs.

So if pregnancy was the only thing we had added to our routine we would still just be bebopping along.  But, as God knew would be the case, pregnancy is not the only introduction we have had to our lives as of late.  Which is why I think He ensured we had plenty of rest before we got here.

For me, I already knew I was pretty close to being burnt out at doing my job.  Added to that are a few disappointing things I have learned about the powers that be for whom I work.  Nothing cataclysmic, just disheartening.  On top of that I have my doctoral classes.  The content of which I love and am very passionate about, but the work load is quite a bit more than I recall my Master's coursework having been like so that has certainly been keeping me busy.

For J.T., a ghost from the past has reappeared and, even though he has tried to tuck it away, I know it is eating at him.  On top of that he was approached a few weeks ago by a consulting firm offering him a 25% increase in salary, but the trade off is the potential for less stability.  They made him an offer the Friday before Labor Day and they have given him until Monday to make his decision.  I am supportive either way, but know the decision is weighing on him heavily.

If just one of us had a lot on our plate, the other one could shoulder more of the day to day and emotional load we are carrying.  With BOTH of us shouldering so much, it is very clear why God's plan worked the way it did.  He is a clever one that God, isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment