Wednesday, November 11, 2015

21 Days of Gratitude-Day 3: Kindness & Service

Day 126: The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. -Oscar Wilde.

Once again I have my parents to thank for being models of the importance of being kind to others and I have also been blessed more times that I can count through the kindness of others.  
Given the personal and professional stresses of recent years, the ones that were most unexpected or arrived at just the right moment are the ones that stick in my mind.  

A card with a personal, encouraging message of a fellow infertility sufferer now "on the other side".  A bamboo plant given for luck in the coming year.  A random text to just check in from a friend who lives far away.  A gentle question of "how are you doing?" when we both know the real questions is "how are you holding up?" and the promise of prayer.  An email just checking in on a day when I seemed down.  

At school, offers to help when I seem to have more on plate than normal and agreeing to assist without batting an eye are hallmarks of many of the wonderful people with whom I am blessed to work.  A big wave or hello, compliments on my hair or boots, and random hugs are ways that kindness is shared with me from countless students. When it comes to receiving acts of kindness, my cup truly runneth over.


I would be remiss if I did not include a second gratitude reflection on this Veterans Day.  

Ever since learning the word pacifist once upon a time (probably in a social studies or history class) it was a term I felt described myself.  It was only this morning that I realized that for all this time I have taken for granted WHY I was able to (arrogantly) describe myself as such-I have never personally had to fight for my own safety or freedom.  I am blessed to live in a country with systems in place to keep me protected from bodily harm as well as protected from oppression.  

When we opened my school, Veteran's day was a school day on the inaugural calendar and we declared it Celebrate Our Soldiers Day.  We invited veterans to come and speak to our students and provided opportunities for our students to learn from and show gratitude toward veterans,  Today was our 6th Celebrate Our Soldiers Day.  Most of the local schools had the day off today, and while a day off certainly sounds nice I am much more grateful to have had the opportunity I had to personally thank and help serve brunch to the veterans that visited my school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment