Tuesday, November 10, 2015

21 Days of Gratitude- Day 2: Health

Despite 2015 being the year of weird ailments for me (never before seen allergies, unexplained hives, unexplained problems with my left eye when I wear contacts, unexplained trifecta of colds, oh and of course there is the ever present unexplained infertility!) if it can be explained it doesn't seem to happen to me:).

All joking aside (at least for a moment) I am so blessed to live in a country where clean, running water, a variety of healthy food options, healthcare, and medicines are easily accessible to me.  This is not the case for large numbers of people around the world.  I need to make more of an effort not to take these things for granted.

Although the percentage of the world’s population without access to essential medicines has fallen from an estimated 37% in 1987 to around 30% in 1999, the total number of people without access remains between 1.3 and 2.1 billion people. (World Health Organization)

My good health is among the blessing I am thankful for each and everyday.  I am thankful for escaping major illnesses (growing up I had the chicken pox, an ear infection, the flu in 7th grade, and that was pretty much the extent of it).  I am fortunate to never experienced a broken bone and, other than having my wisdom teeth extracted (I was so wise there were 6 of them;), I have never undergone surgery.

Now I can't see clearly 6 inches away from my face without corrective lenses and I down painkillers like candy during one particular time of each month, but in the big scheme of things I am eternally grateful for the good health I have enjoyed over the last three decades and only hope to experience more of the same in the years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment