Sunday, August 25, 2019

Family Time

Isabella and I made the great northern trek again.  Ok, it's only 8 hours but when it's just you and a 2 year old it feels like a big, risky expedition!  This time we dragged my mom back with us.  This allowed her to spend more time with us (read: Isabella) and allowed me to get some things done around the house. Preschool doesn't start until September and naps are becoming a bit of a challenge for both kids, so there is no "guaranteed" kid free time during the day for me.  We also got to go on some "field trips" with AJ I don't feel brave enough to take with our normal 1:2 ratio.

We also decided to finally take my mom up on her offer to take our older dog back with her to their house for an extended visit.  Poor old girl still would like to start a "We hate Isabella Club" (a la Brad Pitt's cameo on Friends) and has snapped at her twice now when she has had food.  A break will hopefully do everyone some good. 

While my parents were here I finally took some time to clean out the attic.  Got rid of all of my remaining K-5 teacher stuff and whittled down my sentimental rubbermaid containers from three large tubs and one small tub to just one small tub.   While it was nice to see some of these things again, some I honestly didn't remember where they had come from!  Also the motivator that really got me moving on this project was my one and only child. 

One of my concerns with having an only is that all the responsibility for her aging parents will rest squarely on her shoulders.  While it's morbid to think about I realized there are things we can be doing, even starting right now, that can make it easier for her down the line.  This was one of them. 

I really enjoyed spending a week and half with my family and am very blessed that they are ready, willing and able to both receive us and travel to/with us.  I am hoping to instill this feeling of family and gratitude into Isabella too:).

No comments:

Post a Comment