Monday, September 17, 2018

The Aftermath

Hurricane Florence has come and gone.  It rained...and it rained...and it rained some more.  However, there were only a few pockets of heavy downpours in our neck of the woods.  We were lucky. 

As Isabella and I went for a run this morning and I surveyed the "damage" in our area.  What I saw appeared to be the result of any weekend long bout of rain.  There were lots of fallen leaves, limbs, and puddles.  But for the most part our neighborhood looks much the same as it did before. 

Of course that is not true for all NC residents.  Wilmington has become an island for the time being.  Flooding is still an issue in various areas around the state.  The death toll (though minor compared to what it could have been) continues to slowly creep upwards.  Lives have been changed.  Even if I don't see it--I know. 

As we were in the final stretch on the way home, the sun started peeking out behind the clouds.  A new day was dawning.  Things had changed, but we would continue to move forward much as we had before.

The same could be said for the aftermath of my family "bombshell".  The weekend continued with little mention of this new-to-some-of-us revelation.  We enjoyed games, food and laughter and things continued forward much as they had before.

The bottom line is this:  Decisions were made using the information at hand and using what was felt to be sound judgement in the best interest of those involved.  What's done is done.  It cannot be undone.  There is nothing that can be changed no matter how many times I swirl it around my brain. 

So with God's help I let it go and, while the things I know to be true have changed, I will continue to move forward much as I had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment