Friday, February 3, 2017

Glucose Testing Take 2

Unfortunately, glucose testing part 2 did not go as smoothly as part 1.  The fasting blood draw went fine.  Drinking the now double dose glucose drink went well too.  I then settled myself in the waiting room with my timer (for the 1 hour blood draw) and book that I needed to read for class which I planned to read during this three hour waiting game.

20 minutes and a chapter later, I felt like I had been hit by a truck!  Sweaty, heart racing, nauseous, the works.  One of my teachers suggested I ask to lay down if I started to get sick, so I did.  The nurses were great.  They set me up in a back room in a recliner and said the nurse would come back to me to draw at the one hour mark.  The next 40 minutes sucked.  I kept feeling like I was going to be sick.  I couldn't read my textbook or phone.  I couldn't even flip though a magazine without feeling worse.  I was also dreading having to suck down more of that drink.  It was fine before, but now that I was sick it was going to be awful.

Finally, the nurse came back when my timer came back.  She couldn't re-use my "good vein" so she had to go in through my hand (ouch!).  She was super nice which helped.  I still wasn't feeling very good, so I asked her what would happen if I threw up.  She said I would have to start the process all over again.  "Well that ain't happening" I thought so I sucked it up and made it completely mind over matter.  She went to reset my timer and I asked about having to drink more and she said "nope, you just drink the one."  Hallelujah...I started feeling better already!

During hour number two I crashed and slept for most of it.  Hour three I felt much better.  Out of it, but not physically ill.

Then came the waiting game of waiting for the results.  I had googled my failing number and it seemed like there was not rhyme or reason as to what would happen next.  Some women with numbers higher than mine passed round one and some women with lower numbers failed.  It was truly anyone's guess.

Of course, these results did not come in as quickly as the first and I checked my email obsessively throughout the day.  Finally around 2 I got the following results:





No comments:

Post a Comment