Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Waiting Game

I was at a doctor's office today.  A not-so-patient patient became agitated and went up to the receptionist to make the her aware that the appointment had been scheduled to begin at 9:50, she had gotten there 5 minutes earlier, and now it was 10:20 with a look that said "Now what are you going to do about it?".

I imagine the receptionist wanted to point out to her:

a.  I am not the doctor.
b.  I have no control over his schedule.
c.  You do realize you are in a doctor's office, right?

The not-so-patient patient ended her brief, but passionate, rant with a haughty "Well, that's not right.".   In retrospect I have been in the not-so-patient patient's shoes.  For the better part of three years I have become frustrated with the waiting game that is infertility.  First there is the bane of women TTC everywhere--the dreaded 2 week wait.

I can download an entire book to my Nook in less than 10 seconds.  I can make a nutritious dinner for two in less than 10 minutes.  I can travel from my home on the east coast to Hawaii in less than 10 hours.  However, it takes 14 days for my body to decide whether or not it is pregnant.  In our instantaneous society this part of the wonder of the human body feels unforgivable.

Sperm meet egg.   Egg meet sperm.  Congratulations you are now a zygote--get comfy.  Two weeks-really?!

When you multiply these 14 days times the 36 months we have been playing this waiting game, I just calculated and I have spent nearly half of the last 3 years waiting (Note:  For those of you who are good at math, I know you just rolled your eyes and said duh:). 

For a healthy part of that year and a half, I have been an agitated not-so-patient patient.  In reflection, I imagine that great receptionist who art in Heaven would love to point out to me:

a.  I am well known for my perfect timing.
b.  I will be the first to celebrate with you when it is your turn.
c.  You know I'm God, right?!

When you put it that way the only way I have left to say is "Well you got that right" and while the waiting game continues I can almost feel my haughtiness melt away.

No comments:

Post a Comment