Monday, January 19, 2015

Winter Doldrums

Blue Monday is allegedly the most depressing day of the year and it happens to fall on the third Monday of January...yep, that would be today.  This date is apparently based on a mathematical algorithm that has no research to back it up.  But you got to admit--January kind of sucks.  The days are short and cold.  Last week we didn't see the sun for days on end (ok like 4 days, but it felt like longer).  I am currently suffering from chronic hives (have been since before Christmas) and for the first time in my life feel like I don't have a sense of direction.

Now on this Blue Monday I am off from school, the sun is shining, and the weather is 63 and sunny.

Let's think of things I could have done on this beautiful day:

  • Could have started toward my goal of running 300 miles in 2015
  • Could have cleaned our house
  • Could have done the laundry
  • Could have done one of the DIY Pins I have on Pinterest
  • Could have finished the book I started reading a while ago
  • Could have delivered some of the adoption cards we had made
  • Could have called a friend to go have lunch
  • Could have given the dogs a bath
However, instead I did nothing.  To celebrate this blue Monday it is almost 2:00 in the afternoon and I am wearing my blue nightgown, blue sweat pants and blue bathrobe telling myself "I am going to watch just one more episode of Friends" before I take a shower.  

You know what though, I am doing my best not to feel guilty about it.  I spent the first 35 years of my life working toward goal after goal (career, marriage, personal goals, etc.) and if things go the way we hope, I will get to spend at least the next 18 years being someone's mom.  So instead of feeling guilty about my day of slacker, maybe I just need to revel in it, because maybe (hopefully) my days of selfish indulgence are coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment