Sunday, October 20, 2013

Age is Just a Number (or so they say)

Here I sit one week shy of my birthday.  Age can be such a central focus for us...

At 13 you become a teenager.
At 16 you can drive.
At 18 you can vote and are legally an adult.
At 21 you can legally drink alcohol

The above examples are cut and dry, but there are others that are much more dependent upon the community and/or generation in which you live...
  • Graduating college
  • Staring a career
  • Buying a home
  • Getting married
  • Having children
As a teenager I saw the timeline for my life as follows:

At 22 I would graduate from college and begin teaching.
At 23 I would get married and buy a home.
Somewhere around 28-29 I would begin having children.

The first prediction was accurate.  The others, not so much.  I met my husband at 25, got married at 30, purchased our first home at 31 and the age at which I will begin to have children is clearly TBD.  As time went by I did not stress (too much) about most of these timelines, but as many of us know time can be the enemy when living with IF.

The birthday that lies ahead is THE birthday.  The one that changes the statistics.  The one that, at the start of this journey, was so far away I didn't think would possibly become an obstacle because, while something told me we might have some difficulty getting pregnant, I never in a million years thought we'd be here.  But here is where we are.

I guess the good thing about statistics is, while they have minor things on their side like science and probability, statistics don't know me and statistics don't know my story.  Here's to hoping I can make the statistics shut up and allow me to enjoy me birthday in peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment