Sunday, March 20, 2016

Decisions, Decisions and Abounding Support

So instead of waiting until Monday we ended up talking (a lot) about our next steps.  We researched the embryo adoption site and donor egg sites.  We browsed donor egg profiles.  While it is completely overwhelming it is such a blessing to live in a time and place where these options are available to us and that we have the means by which to have such a choice.

I tried taking emotion out of the equation for a bit and developed the chart below.  My how I do love my charts.  J.T. felt it was a bit skewed to one side, but I truly did try to stay as objective as possible.

egg donor
embryo adoption
  • JTs genes with the donors
  • We choose
  • Paid donation
  • Local
  • Viable embryos still a question
  • $19,000 (only have one shot)
  • Books/ guidance exists for raising a child born from donor eggs
  • Genetic testing and demographic information available
  • no genetic link
  • Matches made based on preferences
  • Philanthropic donation motivated by a desire for embryos to have a chance at life
  • Next State Over (5 hour drive)
  • Embryos already formed
  • $7,500 (could theoretically do it more than once if it doesn't work the first time)
  • Books/ guidance exists for raising a child born from embryo adoption
  • Three generations of medical history available as well as the possibility for a semi open or open relationship should we so choose
Though the decision is daunting I am reminded of my vow at the start of the year--I am leaving family planning decisions to God and my J.T.  I have shared my heart and my mind, and am on the brink of handing over the reins on this decision completely.  I trust each with my life, but I'm not going to lie being in control is a life long habit that is hard to break, but I am getting there.

We are also so very blessed to have support from our family and friends.  Even though we do not know a single other person put in this exact position, and many of them do not know what to do or say the fact that they are always willing to listen and to pray for us is really all we can ask from them and are so fortunate to have each of them in our lives.  

They say when the chips are down that is when you know who your true friends are and I thank each and everyone of them from the bottom of my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment