Monday, December 31, 2018

OneWord365 2018 Review

Dang had I had more time at the beginning of 2018 I would have reached out to Netflix to see if they were interested in a series on decluttering, but it seems Marie Kondo beat me to the punch:).  Well that and the fact that my 2018 focus-streamlining-only really involved two main ideas:

1.  Get this STUFF out of my house (or make it more compact if possible)

2.  We need some routine up in here

So not must-watch TV, but it did a world of good for this family.

Some of the (boring-ain't nobody talking about sparking joy here-, but significant) highlights:

  • The only baby/toddler stuff that remains is clothes Isabella has just grown out of or still wears/will wear and toys that are played with in a rotation.
  • Getting rid of the desk in our bedroom made a HUGE improvement as it seemed to be a magnet for stuff.  
  • Removing the knick knacks and things to keep out of Isabella's reach has made cleaning infinitely easier so they may actually be put up (and eventually shipped out) permanently.
  • I have learned the things that are worth selling (larger baby equipment, toys in lots, and name brand baby clothes again in lots sell -if you price them pretty darn cheap) and the things that will not sell and should just be given away.   
  • I have learned posting things I want to give away on our neighborhood Facebook page is hands down the easiest way ever to get rid of things.  People will actually come to my house to get them-love it!
  • I have donated clothing that was still in good condition and I could still wear, but had been wearing for years and years.  They had lived a good life and needed to go live a good life somewhere else.  I'm not one of those die-hards that has narrowed it down to 33 pieces or anything but all my clothes now fit in the closest to I have saved myself hours each spring and fall from having to "change out" the seasonal pieces.  
  • I have brought the art of routine I had once reserved for my school life home.  We now have flexible routines for daily life and "field trips".  I also have routines for morning, afternoon, evening, and weekly cleaning that has made life so much easier.  It's amazing how running the dishwasher and doing a load of laundry everyday actually makes things run more smoothly. 

Ultimately I have learned less really is more.  It leaves room for more time, more energy, more peace, and more joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment