Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Chatty Cathy

After almost 6 months of speech and a host of strategies, Isabella's vocabulary is really beginning to explode!

There is little rhyme or reason to the sounds within the words, but some of them can definitely be put in categories:

Actions:  Goal (imitating soccer goal), go-go-go (almost always said in threes), stop, jump, down, kick, catch, stuck

People centered words:  Mama, Da (apparently she's Irish), Hi, Please, eye teeth, yes, no, night-night

Random:  Chalk, cheese, woo-woo (train sound effect), ice, tea (when we play with her tea set), juice, cow, moo, stick, cold, clouds, hot

She has also increased her random imitation of words which is huge progress.

When the speech teacher asked what I thought made the difference the only thing I could come up with was I had finally bought a book that I had my eye on since June:


It was $60 so I held off, but finally broke down a few weeks ago when I felt like we weren't making much progress on the talking front.  I read it, underlined some things, bought a few props the book suggested, did one or two activities and boom the girl started talking up a storm!

Now I don't believe the book was magic.  No I rather believe, in much the same way I think Isabella secretly Googles sleep regressions so she doesn't miss one, that she got a hold of the book herself and read it.  Much more believable:).  

In all honesty I have no idea what caused the switch to click on, I'm just super glad it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment