Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Thyroid Woes

Backstory:  I was diagnosed with hypothroidism in 2008 (which was later amended to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in 2015).  My TSH level was 6.6 (HIGH).  I have my TSH levels tested with my GP each year and from 2009-2015 they have always come back in the 1.6-2.9 range (reference range listed as 3) and my medicine has remained the same the whole time.

I had it tested again in February and never bothered to check the results as I assumed that if anything had changed my medication would be adjusted accordingly (dumb move #1).  About two weeks ago I was at the beach and got a robocall from my GP requesting I call for a follow up appointment.  Hadn't been to the doctor since FEBRUARY and it was a routine visit so I assumed it was a mistake and didn't call back (dumb move #2).  I got another message yesterday, so I sent a message via the online portal.  I got a very disjointed voicemail back saying I wasn't actually due for a follow up until next month for my Thyroid.  

I went back into the online portal to ensure I wasn't crazy and had it checked in February like I had thought.  Sure enough I had, BUT my TSH level was 4.11 (reference range now noted as 3-4.5) and my medication remained the same.  In a quick google search (dumb move #3) I am reading that TSH level shouldn't be above 3 for all things related to fertility.

So I called the doctors office back and the first appointment they could give me was July 25.  I asked if I could see another doctor and she said "We don't do that anymore".  I very politely, but very forcefully explained that I was undergoing a VERY expensive out of pocket IVF procedure at the end of July and my thyroid level HAS to be NORMAL.  She told me to call back at 7am to try to get in for a cancellation.  When I asked if that didn't work she said to let them know and the doctor could give permission to be seen by another doctor.

Even if I am seen tomorrow and get my medication adjusted, I am scared that it will be too late and that I have blown it.  I do see God's hand in bringing it to my attention as my GP doesn't know we are undergoing IVF and I don't believe my RE tests TSH because I have a diagnosed "controlled" thyroid condition.  I just hope that it isn't too late to get things back on track...

ETA:  I messaged my RE after venting here and they already called me back.  They can't change my meds, but they can run the blood test for me and those results could be shared with my GP to adjust my meds.  Mini victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment