Thursday, July 14, 2016

Paradox

Things are going well on the medication front.  I am still only on a single estrogen patch though, so things may begin to get more interesting tomorrow when I increase to two.

In un-IF related news, I am pretty sure God personally picked out my doctoral classes this summer specifically for me.  I say this because the first class opened my eyes (and to a degree scared me straight) to how writing intensive doctoral life is.  I needed this out of the gate in order to set me up successfully for all that lies ahead.  Also, the sole purpose of this second class (both were electives) is to set you up for success in the doctoral program and to go "on the market" (when the time comes). What better way to get started, then by knowing what you need to do and how you need to do it from beginning to end?!?

That being said this second class has also presented an interesting paradox.  It has been my mission this summer to focus on the day (week max) ahead so I don't get all caught up in my head and stressing myself out with all the "What-Ifs..." (or should I say WTF IF...) that lie ahead.  However, my first assignment in this class is to submit a degree plan that lays out at least the next year of classes I plan to take.  Well laying out just a year doesn't seem wise since what comes after that may impact what you need to take in that first year, so over this week I have found myself having to look ahead 3 and 4 years into the future-not exactly what I needed for my sanity at the moment:(.

The ironic part is that so much of what I do on the school front depends upon what happens on the home front.  Will we have one baby, two babies, or no babies?  What will I do for work in the event said baby(ies) make a long awaited appearance?  On top of all of these unknowns that already existed, J.T. also learned on Monday that his company is sending all software developer jobs (what he does) overseas, so this could mean either a) he moves up through the ranks to a senior engineer much more quickly than was the norm or b) he could be laid off.  If option A occurs, his salary might be such that the need for a second income is not as necessary (that would be amazing!).  If option B occurs, I will have no choice but to remain in my current job and things will be tight (that would suck is an understatement).

If I give this all too much more thought I am pretty sure my brain will explode, so I have developed a 3 year degree plan and a 4 year degree plan to submit.  I am hitting send and then hiding them.  One day at a time is about all my poor brain can take at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment