Thursday, March 2, 2017

Geriatric Pregnancy

On my printout from one of my first doctors visits at the OBGYN announced several things, but the thing that stuck out the most were the words "Geriatric Pregnancy".  Now clearly I knew I was "advanced maternal age", but geriatric made me think of hunched over, feeble senior citizens.  You know, something like this:


I was pretty indignant thinking "geriatric my a*&!".  I was still very much mobile, keeping up with a full workload, courseload, and household responsibilities.    "I got this!" I thought- I just needed to keep moving.  So I did and everything went well for the first trimester...and the second trimester...and the start of the third trimester.

Then my body started to crap out on me last week.  This week was more of the same, so I have a new appreciation for the term "geriatric pregnancy".  However, I believe in my case it would be more aptly named "geriatric third trimester".

I am sleeping better this week, but I am struggling to get around.  I guess what I am experiencing are technically Braxton Hicks but I can't time them.  The tightening is now across my whole abdomen and only stops when I sit down.  I hesitate to sit down too much, and frankly I have too much to do to sit down as much as I would like.

I just need to get through this week I think.  Class Monday through Wednesday, Infant CPR tonight and Birthing Class all day Saturday.  With all of the busyness that was involved in last weekend I just haven't had much of a break.  Next week is Spring Break at the university, so just going to work and coming home I think will definitely do me some good.

We still have 7 weeks to go, so I gotta figure something out.  Well, actually hold on a second.  Maybe this is God's way of telling me I am trying to take on too much myself again and I am not relying on Him the way I should.  Hmmm, some interesting food for thought...



No comments:

Post a Comment