Thursday, March 9, 2017

An Emotional Week (School Related)

This week was supposed to serve as a bit of respite as the university was on spring break and I had planned to come home straight after school each evening an rest, or if so motivated, try to get a little ahead with my coursework.  Little did I know God had different plans for this week and it would prove to be one of the most difficult weeks I have experienced as an educator.

Dylan began as a kindergartener in my school in the fall of 2011.  In his short life Dylan had already experienced more health issues by that point than most do if they live to be 100.  These health issues also led to cognitive, motor and speech deficits.  However, two of the areas his health issues couldn't touch were his joy of people and his joy for life.  He loved to joke and laugh and his smile was infectious.

Dylan wasn't supposed to have lived to see 1...3...5...10 and over his elementary school career he spent multiple stints in the hospital. I assumed when he went into the hospital at the beginning of February he would come back to us as he had done so many times before.  Even when hospitals in Charlotte, Atlanta and Boston determined he did not meet the requirements for their heart transplant list late last week, I convinced myself that he was Dylan and he would somehow find a way to bounce back.  God Bless him-- his tiny heart finally gave up in the early morning hours Monday thus began a school week like none I had previously experienced.

I got a text message just before 5am to call his teacher; however, fearing the reason she was texting me to call her so early I just laid there trying to summon the courage to call dreading what I was to hear.  After we spoke I sobbed and I kept telling J.T. I didn't want to be the boss today.  However, I was the boss and somehow managed to break the news across my staff.  We worked hard to keep the kids in the dark during the day as we wanted the news to come from their parents who we had messaged around lunch time.  It also allowed the day for staff to process so they could be there for the kids on Tuesday, and be there they were.  They did an amazing job of being there for the kids, for one another, for the family and for me.  Our kids and families also did an amazing job of being there for one another, the teachers, and the family.

Wednesday night a viewing and celebration of life was held.  I have never been to services for a child before and hope this one was it.  It was beautiful and while there were moments of levity (Dylan could be such a funny kid), the tears left us all drained.

The graveside service was today and I just couldn't do it.  I gave his mom a big, long hug last night and made sure all of his teachers who wanted to go were able to do so, but selfishly I could not handle it.  Dylan would have been 11 next Tuesday.  They sung him Happy Birthday and released balloons in his honor.  I am sure he loved it and for the first time in his short life could run and jump for joy and is thankful to be with the Lord whom he loves so very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment