Saturday, March 4, 2017

Birthing Class

Today was our birthing class at the hospital.  It was an all day event that we thought started at 9:30 so when we walked in at 9:35 we thought we were only 5 minutes late.  Turns out it started at 9:00 and we were 35 minutes late.  Ooops!  It turns out we only missed introductions and creating a list of the positive and negative things about childbirth.

We watched several videos and while many things we had heard or read before, we both thought it was good to hear them again.  Because I have a feeling when it's go time if we only heard it once, it will likely be no longer retrievable!

The more I learn about medical interventions, the more I hope to be able to avoid them because it seems like once you start you end up going down a bit of a rabbit hole.  However, let's be real I have never really confronted pain or any real medical need that was to this level so I am certainly not saying "no" but I do hope to try some natural management strategies first.

While we were sitting their J.T. ordered an exercise ball as a number of the suggested positions/early labor strategies used them.  I am also thinking music, the tub/heat, and staying at home as long as I can will help too.  I am not sure about the breathing.  While it's not the hokey breathing they show in moves, I think it will still take some concerted effort.  The instructor suggested to those of us with Braxton Hicks to try breathing with those for practice-which seems smart and doable.  I also plan to print out some bible verses to use as mantras.  Though I can say with a fair amount of confidence that relaxation music, relaxation exercises and such are things that I will plan to avoid.

As I learn more about natural childbirth, I am discovering that there is a crunchy, I am woman hear me roar vibe to the choices of many.  While I admire their rational, it sheds an interesting light my own (well at least #2).

My primary goals of childbirth are:
#1  A healthy Isabella
#2 The fastest possible labor and deliver I can possibly have!

No comments:

Post a Comment