Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Oops

You know how new parents in a fog of activity and sleep interruptions/deprivation make minor error in judgement.   You know like forgetting return the video to the RedBox or failing to pay a bill.  Well I think I may just committed my biggest new parent induced oops yet.

I took four classes last semester and made it out alive by the skin of my teeth.  At least that is how it felt. 

So this semester I was looking forward to only taking three classes along with my comprehensive exam (comps).  A classmate who is trying to complete the program in the same timeframe told me that her advisor suggested taking a required course called "Dissertation Proposal" along with comps.  I had it slated for next Fall, but figured I guess I should follow the advice and signed myself up.  I guess I didn't give much though to what a dissertation proposal WAS.  I assumed it was some kind of outline or extended abstract.  Assumed is such a dangerous word!

After attending class tonight I learned that Dissertation Proposal means drafting the first 3 CHAPTERS of your actual dissertation.  Cue nervous laughter and heart palpitations.

So the lightened load I dreamed about last semester suddenly just got a pretty health dose of reality and it ain't pretty.  In looking at the up side- one of my courses is an independent study for which I am writing a literature review so I will attempt to write it in a way so that it can stand in for or possibly even serve as chapter 2 of my dissertation.  Other than that I got nothing in the way of positive prospects.

Is it May, yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment