Thursday, November 12, 2015

21 Days of Gratitude: Day 4- Teacher

Here's a little irony for you during 21 days of gratitude, I believe part of my drive to become a teacher was because I frankly did not like most of my teachers when I was in school.  I was the kid who talked too much, was disorganized, and in the class I was assigned throughout elementary school needed differentiated instruction about 20 years before its time.  Middle and high school weren't much better and even though I went to small colleges for under grad and graduate school I did not really connect with any of my professors.  So when I think of the teachers for whom I am the most grateful, they are hands down teachers with whom I have worked at various points over the last 14 years.

What all of these teachers have in common is that they see their students as children first, students second.  They intentionally build a relationship with them as individuals not because they HAVE to, but because they WANT to. They are open minded and are willing to learn and actively seek out new ways of meeting their students needs whatever they may be.  They know how to laugh at themselves and they know how to laugh with their students.  I am thankful to have had these people in my life and am thankful that each and everyone of them continues to enrich the lives of children each and every day.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment