Thursday, January 8, 2015

Seeking Support





This past summer our school leadership team was asked to take the Myers Briggs Personality Test as a part of a set of team building exercises.  If you have never done this it can be pretty interesting as all of the members of the leadership team (as well as the handful of friends and family I conned into taking it as well) could absolutely relate with their results.  What I found most intriguing about my results was that I was 1% more extroverted than I was introverted...I'm an ambivert.  Yep, it's a real thing (even if spell check doesn't recognize it, YouTube does--see above).

So when I'm seeking support on this (seemingly never ending) journey, sometimes I want to reach out to others and other times I just want time to myself to scour the internet for some form of a sign reflect.

As I mentioned before I have some friends who are dealing with their own IF battles.  Some of them are on a break and are focusing on other aspects of their life.  One is playing the adoption waiting game too. With everyone just kind of hanging out for the moment, there's not a whole lot of fodder for conversation on this front.

As a result, at this point when I am in the mood to seek out others, blogs and message boards are a great source of support.  I had been on theBump (stage three of The Knot trilogy) when we first began TTC and then had trouble TTC so it seemed natural that when we began the adoption process I jumped on over to their adoption board.

Adoptive Families is another great resource that has various message boards including one for those of us waiting for a domestic infant adoption.  Both boards are full of supportive, informative women who are happy to share information on any topic, be a shoulder to "cry" on, or a sounding board when you need to vent.

Both boards have a good number of members, but neither board is hugely active as I assume, like us, when you're waiting there's not a whole of new things to share each day.



I am avid reader, so blogs have been another great source of support.  What I love about these is that you know right when there's a happy ending right from the start.  These are the ones I will spend hours going back in time and reading the journey from beginning to end (football season has provided great background noise for this new found past time:).  My current favorite is:

http://rebekahpinchback.blogspot.com/
Living in a metropolitan area there are support groups for each of the stages of our journey, but I have yet to take that step.  There is a church in the south part of town that has an adoption ministry and a women's group that meets once a month.  So far my list of excuses reasons for not attending to this point is that  the October topic was on parenting a foster child, I forgot about the November meeting until after it passed, December was December, and tonight it is too cold.  Maybe next month:).







  

No comments:

Post a Comment