Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"You don't have children..."

We have been very blessed in that very few people have asked THOSE questions of us or made THOSE comments to us.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  The ones where people with children (be them small or fully grown) make comments or, what they consider, good natured jokes towards those of us who are without children.

We have never been pressed as to why we do not have children or been reminded that we are not getting any younger.  We have not been provided unsolicited advice such as "just relax" or "I had a friend who adopted and bam the next thing they knew they were pregnant, so you should try that".  However, in two separate conversations yesterday I was met with the words "You don't have children so you wouldn't know..."-ouch!

This is such a rarity that I should be able to brush it off, and for the most part I have.  However, in some small way I am transported back to 5th grade.  When I was in 5th grade Benetton bags were THE thing (see pic below).

In my house growing up food, shelter, clothing, etc. were never in question, but name brand anything was virtually nonexistent.  For months I watched as girl after girl in my class sported their new bag.  At school as we would unpack, pack up, and walk home each day I felt like an outsider until I had scrimped and saved birthday money, Christmas money, and quarters from the couch in order to buy the least expensive Benetton bag on the market.

Now, let me be clear, in the 20+ years that have passed since 5th grade I have evolved into a mature adult and have no desire to "keep up with the Jones'" be it in regard to material items or otherwise.  However, after the second dose of "You don't have children so you wouldn't know..." I definitely felt a kindred spirit in 5th grade me.

If only IVF could be financed through birthday money, Christmas money and quarters from the couch-sigh...



No comments:

Post a Comment