Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Health Care Debate

This post is not going to be a diatribe lauding praises for or expressing angst regarding the Affordable Care Act.  Rather I want to reflect on how IF is viewed by the health insurance community.

We, like many couples facing IF, have decent health insurance in many areas.  Our insurance covers diagnostics related to IF and if I was diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis or the like, it would help cover treatment.  However, once a diagnosis of Unexplained Infertility bubbled to the surface, we were cut off from insurance to assist us in fulfilling our dream of having children.

I can see both sides of this issue:

The Argument for Not Covering IF Treatments such as IUI & IVF:
  • These costly procedures do not serve as preventive care.  
  • Not becoming pregnant will not have a detrimental impact on my physical health.  
  • Even my mental health has withstood the storm with the support of my faith, family, and friends (in THAT order!).  
  • Technically it does not improve my current health in any way, shape, or form.
The Argument for Covering IF Treatments such as IUI & IVF:
  • It's not fair that other people can get pregnant and I can't and nobody can tell me why!  How do you like that for a scholarly argument:)?
  • These treatments are medical and compensate for something my body is seemingly unable to do

From a very simplistic viewpoint with very basic research, the evidence clearly speaks to why IUI & IVF is not covered by many health insurance companies.

That being said, I can't help but think there has to be a more affordable means for the nearly 10% percent of the population for whom assisted reproductive means would benefit.

What would it take?  Do we who live in the shadows with our IF need to speak out and create advocacy related to this topic?  Does there need to be more funding for research that would lead to more affordable means or increased rates of success that would not making me feel insane for taking a $15,000 gamble with 50% or less chance of return?   

Or, to play the devil's advocate...

Is it just utopian thinking that everyone who feels so inclined should have access to means to reproduce?  Should others be burdened with costs (through their insurance premiums) simply because my husband and I want to become parents?

Clearly I have more questions than answers on this front and would love to hear opinions from others.

So, what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment