Saturday, September 14, 2019

Follow the Arrows

Letting go of every single dream
I lay each one down at Your feet
Every moment of my wandering
Never changes what You see

I've tried to win this war I confess
My hands are weary I need Your rest
Mighty Warrior, King of the fight
No matter what I face, You're by my side

When You don't move the mountains I'm needing You to move
When You don't part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don't give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust, I will trust, I will trust in You!

These words, written by Lauren Daigle, have become my theme song.  While I believe in them with all my heart, it is somewhat of a challenge to live them day in and day out.  You see once upon a time, I fancied myself a bit of an architect.  I would develop a plan, working to make sure each piece was in just the right place, so that ultimately the finished product would be exactly what I wanted and how I had imagined it to be.  My greatest lesson over the last decade is that my imagination is nothing compared to God's and that when I relinquish control to Him and follow His plans that is when I truly get what I want even before realizing it is exactly what I need.  So while I get it, the challenge is real.

Now that the kids are in school, I am devoting that time to my "professional" life.  On their first day I worked on my CV and realized I should probably also update my LinkedIn.  When opened it I saw that my headline and current position was full time student.  Well that wasn't the case any more, but when I went to change it I realized that I had no Earthly idea what to change it to!  I have nothing but respect for stay at home moms, I AM a stay at home mom which is exactly what I feel I am supposed to be doing right now, BUT listing that on LinkedIn did not seem like the thing to do.  So I sat and in that moment I heard the words "educational consultant".  So in addition to foraying into the world of publishing and adjunct "professering", I am also taking steps toward developing an educational consulting endeavor.  

At one time, this would have blown my mind as none of these paths have a clear beginning, middle, and end, but now I am just putting one foot in front of the other and taking each path one step at a time.  It is of no surprise that I ran across a book entitled The Next Right Thing by Emily P. Freeman.  In it she speaks directly to me in that right now my job is to "follow the arrows" God lays out for me.  At this juncture I have no idea what the end game is supposed to be and that is o.k.  

It's funny.  Following the arrows is advice I learned way back when....from Sesame Street!  So I am now living my life day to day under God's guidance and with Lauren Daigle, Bert & Ernie for moral support.  Not a bad team.


No comments:

Post a Comment