Friday, January 4, 2019

Let's Do This Thing

When I applied for a doctoral program I think my perception of the dissertation was something like the longest report I would every write in my life.  So with that I figured I know how to write papers and reports so I would just have to put my nose to the grindstone and bang it out.  Hard work?  Sure.  But never in a million years did I think getting from the inception of my dissertation proposal to actually beginning to conduct the research would have taken one full calendar year. 

Yet here we are almost exactly one year since my dissertation proposal class began and just today I had the first introductory meeting with my first participant.  I now have a much better understanding as to why only 50% of PhD students actually finish.  I also have a better understanding as to why God positioned things to allow me to work on it while my profession is officially SAHM.  If I had tried to to do this, raise a toddler, and work full time?  LOL for days as I would for sure be living on the other side of this statistic.

But--long awaited--squeal!  I am ready to roll.

My plans to graduate in May went up in smoke when I couldn't begin my research in the fall.  My dissertation chair mentioned something about the possibility of an August graduation.  My worst case scenario at this point is December.  Fingers crossed there are no major bumps in the road moving forward and that, like a play the dress rehearsal aka dissertation proposal process disaster means a near flawless performance or in this case dissertation process and defense!

No comments:

Post a Comment