Friday, May 27, 2016

The Scenic Route on the Road Less Traveled

Today is Show us Your Life at Kelly's Korner.  I have been reading Kellys' Korner for several years now.  I love how she shares the story of her life while at the same time provides ways of bringing women together both near and far.  If you are experiencing deja vu that is because I also had the opportunity to link up a few weeks ago when the feature was on adoption.  This week is featuring infertility which is certainly a topic with which I am very familiar.

Long story short my husband and I met and fell in love in 2004.  We got married five years later. After buying our first home and enjoying a year of being a married couple we decided we were ready to start a family in August of 2010.

After a year of trying unsuccessfully we visited a Reproductive Endocrinologist who "diagnosed" us with unexplained infertility (in my personal opinion if it is unexplained it isn't a diagnosis, but then again I work in education not medicine).  After several failed IUIs, not a single positive pregnancy test, and about three more years of lapsed time were faced with the decision to put our monetary resources towards IVF or adoption--we joyfully chose the latter.

Fast forward two years and we still continue to be an active waiting adoptive family with no potential match in sight.  In those two years we have continued saving and are were able to reconsider IVF in addition to adopting at the beginning of this year.  A new work up of fertility testing showed that my below average AMH had slipped into poor and that the doctor only projected a 19% chance of success using my eggs.  We were disappointed (to say the least!), but have persevered and are now trying to decide whether to pursue IVF using Donor Eggs or through Embryo adoption.

The name of this blog continues to ring true we are without a doubt traveling on the road less traveled--we have been living infertility for almost 6 years and are looking to build our family through adoption AND third party reproduction.  We have seen and experienced a great deal on our travels so far and can only continue to hope and pray that the best is yet to come.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Found you from Kelly's Korner. I'm a fellow infertile. It took us five painful years before my daughter arrived - 1 IUI and 2 IVFs. If you are considering embryo adoption, I was following a blog called "Don't Count Your Eggs" awhile back. The author (Maya) went the route of anonymous embryo donation and now has a healthy daughter. I'm not sure if you've read her blog, but just thought I would mention it. Sending you positive vibes for your road ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the recommended blog! I think Maya is an amazing writer and am very excited to see their documentary once it is complete.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reaching out! Holding you both (and your adorable doggies) in the Light. Excited to see how your story unfolds.

    ReplyDelete